Re: is this the end of debian?

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, DAVID B. TEAGUE wrote:

> I don't think one person is vital, but with many who don't want to
> market Debian. ... We _are_ going to miss Bruce.

yes. but we *will* survive without him.

btw, there is no one who doesn't want to market debian. there are
many who dont want to become obsessed by marketing at the expense of
technical superiority. it's a matter of keeping it in perspective, not a
binary opposition.

> Face it, Red Hat has a bunch of Marketroids who are really good at
> getting the name out. (Even if they do have the reputation of pushing
> a product with broken packages out the door (before it is ready.))
>
> We could use a couple of marketroids ourselves who push a fairly
> slickly packaged product - frozen at some point.

yes, we need a marketing team. one which works with the developers and
markets what we produce. not one which tries to give unreasonable orders
to the developers.

any marketing person who can't market a cool, superior product like what
we have should bow their head in shame and get a job more suited to
their talents. flipping burgers perhaps.

> The profits (and I stronly believe that there could be some
> significant funds generated like this) would be plowed back into
> funding developers.

no, debian doesn't need profits. we're doing this for fun, not money
remember?

anyway, there isn't enough money to pay 300 developers what they're
worth. i'll work on debian for free, but i won't do it for $5/hour.

any donations received should be used to pay for any debian expenses,
and the remainder used to support free other software projects.

craig

--
craig sanders