Re: is this the end of debian?

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, ' ALLAN W. BART wrote:

> is this the end of debian as we know it. i am wondering about this- any
> thoughts.

Allan

Well, Bruce is leaving, but Ian is still out there.  I think Dale
Scheetz is immersed in his book and the support for it. I don't see his
posts much any more. There are many developers. Who are the
Debian officers?

I don't think one person is vital, but with many who don't want to
market Debian. ... We _are_ going to miss Bruce.

Face it, Red Hat has a bunch of Marketroids who are really good at
getting the name out. (Even if they do have the reputation of pushing a
product with broken packages out the door (before it is ready.))

We could use a couple of marketroids ourselves who push a fairly slickly
packaged product - frozen at some point.  The profits (and I stronly
believe that there could be some significant funds generated like this)
would be plowed back into funding developers.

RE: Stability: I have been using 1.1 for a year, for exactly what
Microsoft promises but fails to provide: a *_stable_* platform (the only
crashes I have had that were not attributable to hardware were from
Netscape)  and a large number of really nice applications.

We have been using Debian at school with the upgrades done by my system
administrator instead of me, so that system stayed up to date. And it
stayed STABLE in spite of use by some of folk whose intent seems to be
to "take it down":)

I think Debian is healthy, but if the young turks drive more leaders
off, it may not stay that way.

The one constant is change, so the old saw sings. Bruce feels bruised,
and I'll bet he is. I'm personally sorry he is going.  He was a wise
voice among rabble rousers.

--david
       LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [3456]86 PC's available NOW!
David B Teague | Ask me how user interface copyrights & software
teague@wcu.edu | patents make programing a dangerous business.

spy counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet Bosnia
ammonium nitrate fuel oil cocaine assassinate counterfeit destabilize