Re: I am leaving Debian

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Ian Perry wrote:

> Bruce,
>
> On the Thursday, 19 March 1998 8:00 you said.
> >
> > ........................ but I feel that my mission to
> > bring free software to the masses really isn't compatible with Debian any
> > longer, and that I should be working with one of the more mainstream
> > Linux distributions.
>
> Your statement that "free software to the masses really isn't compatible
> with Debian" is disturbing.
>
> I have spent a considerable amount of time over the last four months
> investigating and trialling Debian, over slackware and redhat, as we are in
> the near future about to install some serious hardware running under Linux.
>  Debian, so far, is ahead.
>
> Can you please clarify your statement, as it appears to point to Debian
> going commercial, which will lead to all sorts of nasties.

On slashdot.org[1] I read a quote from Bruce: "My mission is to bring free
software to the masses. Unfortunately, that's not where Debian's
developers want to go - they are more into making a great system for other
hackers like them. There's nothing wrong with that, but the two mission
statements don't overlap at all."

I think this quote explains why it is incompatible. Don't worry about
Debian going commercial.

Remco

[1] check it out: http://slashdot.org/ This is a cool site where hackers,
nerds and other people comment on "News for Nerds on the Stuff that
Matters".