Re: win95 and linux network

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Benoit Joly wrote:

> hi all, i will have two computer (mine and my parents one).
> my parents computer is running win95 and mine linux, win95 and winnt.
> i have an ethernet card (3com combo) on my computer and an external modem too.
>
> i want:
> 1) to be able to play network games in win95
> the computer will be about 30 feet away, so i cant use serial cable.
> maybe i can use ether coax or 10bt cable... what is the best

Either should work.  10base-t will require a crossover RJ-45 cable.  If
you later add another computer, it will require a hub.  Coax can expand
without a hub.  Be sure to mount the T connectors directly on the ethernet
card and terminate both ends of the link with 50 ohm terminations.

> what should i do then to setup the network (just give me some hints like
> what should i install and setup)

You will need to recompile your kernel for IP masquerading.  See the
mini-HOWTO on this; it is quite explicit.  Also see the Ethernet-HOWTO.

> 2) i want to plug my modem on my computer and i want to allow parents
> computer to have acces to my modem trough the network to connect to my isp.
> (i think the better way is to run linux on my computer for this task but i
> cant put linux on my parents box. (give me some hints)

I would suggest you install diald on your computer and set up Win95
networking on your parent's computer to use your computer as a gateway.
That way, they can won't have to worry about making any connections--your
Linux box will handle that transparently.   I have mine set up that way
and my wife doesn't have to worry about dialup networking or such with her
Win95 box.

There are probably ways to accomplish the same thing when your computer is
running Win95 or NT.  Wingate uses proxy instead of masquerading, so the
setup is more complex, but could be made to work.  You would have to use
something like squid on Linux to do this.  I experimented a bit with
Trumpet Firesock, which supposedly does masquerading, but wasn't
successful (besides, I only use Win95 for such things as Quicken and
TurboTax these days).  Getting the two computers to talk to each other in
Win95 over ethernet is easy, however.  I tried it when I was running a
slip serial connection and it seems that only a single serial connection
was allowed by Win95 and that was already being used by DUN.

Bob

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com
Tucson, AZ                      AMPRnet: w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org