re:win95 and linux network

Setting all this up is not hard....
>i want:
>1) to be able to play network games in win95
>the computer will be about 30 feet away, so i cant use serial cable.
>maybe i can use ether coax or 10bt cable... what is the best
You will need an ethernet card for each computer and...
either a hub or the right cable.
I would suggest getting NE2000 Compatible "Combo" cards
they are both 10baseT (RJ45 --like a telephone but a bigger connector)
 and 10Base2 (coaxial cable)  on 1 card..they can usually be found
relatively cheap
I would recommend using the coaxial cable
it is simple...
just get and install the cards....then all you need is coaxial cable
(get it at radio shack...
its cheap...mthe stuff with BNC connetcors)...and 2 terminators (same)
and 2 T connectors
the manual with the crds should be abel to help
Then set them up for win95 (and setup IPX protocol..since most games
need it)
or...there is another thread on here I saw that says you can
run win95 under DOSemu...do that and stop duel booting ;)
>2) i want to plug my modem on my computer and i want to allow parents
>computer to have acces to my modem trough the network to connect to my
isp.
>(i think the better way is to run linux on my computer for this task
but i
>cant put linux on my parents box. (give me some hints)
Thats EASY under linux
just recompile the kernel..make sure firewalling and IP Masquerading is
on
(and IP forwarding etc)
setup PPP on the linux machone so it can dial out...
then setup IP Masq (look for howtos and things...I don't reemeber teh
command
off the top of my head...the only command you need is  ipfwadm but it
has allot of options RTFM)
then tell the win95 PC that the "gateway" on the network is the linux
machines IP adress
it works GREAT!
-Steve