Re: Taking over vnc, vnc-doc. Also xdm information request.

On Wed, Mar 18, 1998 at 08:56:57AM +0200, Amos Shapira wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> |Ah, I see. If I want to start a client from elsewhere, I have first to copy
> |the cookie to it, everytime the X server was new started (if I try to
> |display a remote client on my home station, for example). Thsi I can do with
> |xauth -extract and -merge (or -add or whatever it is), right?
>
> Yes, exactly.
>
> |> More than one cookie can be stored in each file, and they are
> |> associated with a particular display.  The X server disntinguishes
> |> between the UNIX-domain socket (the one used in ":0.0") and the
> |> TCP port 6000 socket (the ones used when giving a hostname),
> |> that's why you have to copy the cookie twice - once for each display
> |> you might use.
> |
> |Mmmh. I know what a TCP port, but not what a UNIX-domain socket is.
>
> It's another transport layer which acts quite like named pipes.  Since
> the entire TCP/IP overhead is saved, it is much faster.  Also when
> using the local display there is a possibility for heavy use of shared
> memory to "transfer" bitmaps, which speeds things up too.

Ah, thank you.

> At least on my Debian "hamm" system, the unix-domain socket used by X11
> is /tmp/.X11-unix/X0

Ah, hidden things surprise me then and when. Thank you for the info!

> |Ok, but it wasn't my code (it was the upstream code.) I may include this
> |change in the next version, though. Thank you very much! Probably it helps a
>
> I was aware of that, maybe you want to send a copy to the upstream
> developer?

Sure. My matn concern is that everyone can connect a viewer to the server,
just by guessing a 6 to 8 character password encrypted by a fixed key DES
algorithm. The key is plain visible in the source code. And connecting a
viewer without -shared option will probably terminate every other viewer
session. This is sooo bad.

I still cannot see all the implications (as there is domain socket, TCP and
RFB ((used by VNC)) protocolls now), but it is much clearer now. Thank you!

Marcus