Re: Domain Name

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure If my first attempt got through... probly mail server crash
> > did it... *GRIN*
> >

> > In the /etc/issue file you can use the \n.\o sequence to get a copy of
> > your hostname and domain name right?
> >
> > In that case, why to I get "omnic.(none)" ??? Where is this (none) coming
> > from?
> >
> > Pure interest here, I have just been playing with it....
>
> I've solved it by not only setting the hostname but also the domainname at
> boot time. If you're running 'unstable', it's in /etc/init.d/hostname.sh,
> otherwise I think it's in /etc/init.d/boot . You'll find a command like
>
> hostname --file /etc/hostname
>
> After this, add the command
>
> domainname --file /etc/domainname
>
> Make sure /etc/hostname contains your hostname and that /etc/domainname
> contains your domain name. Then it all works.
>
> I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but it works for me. My
> /etc/issue contains these lines, which are quite informative about the
> system:
>
> Welcome to \n.\o at \l
>
> This system runs \s \r on \m

Thanks... this works, but I had to make a hardlink to hostname... but I
dont think thats a problem..
And yes.. I am running stable.

Still being a newbie (I hate that word), what happens when you make a
symlink, and what happens when you make a hardlink? what is the
difference, and what are the reasons for both?

                        Michael Beattie (omnic@usa.net)