Re: lilo, linux and win95

kotsya@u.washington.edu (David Stern) writes:

> hda5 (or sda5) and above are logical partitions.  Logical partitions
> cannot be used to store the lilo boot sector.

I don't think so.  My PC at work, using IBM's BootManager (available
in OS/2 and Partition Magic) has:

----- lilo.conf -----
boot=/dev/hda6
root=/dev/hda6

The normal MBR probably can't load this though.

> For a reason I've not determined, Linux fdisk may allow logical
> partitions to be created and used without first creating an extended
> partition.

I don't think it's possible to put a logical partition on a disk
without it being in an extended partiton.  fdisk might let you create
the logical partition without explicitly creating the extended
partition, but it has to do it anyway.

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."