Re: Domain Name

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Michael Beattie wrote:

> Thanks... this works, but I had to make a hardlink to hostname... but I
> dont think thats a problem..
> And yes.. I am running stable.

I'm sorry I don't remember how things are in stable. I have been running
unstable since July and many, many things have changed since then.

> Still being a newbie (I hate that word), what happens when you make a
> symlink, and what happens when you make a hardlink? what is the
> difference, and what are the reasons for both?

The difference is in the thing the link points to. A symlink points to a
filename. A hardlink points to the file itself. If you remove a file, all
symlinks pointing to it become 'dangling', pointing to something that
doesn't exist. However, the file is not removed from the disk before all
hardlinks to it are removed.

In schematic form:

symlink

  \|/