Re: Domain Name

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> I'm not sure If my first attempt got through... probly mail server crash
> did it... *GRIN*
>

> In the /etc/issue file you can use the \n.\o sequence to get a copy of
> your hostname and domain name right?
>
> In that case, why to I get "omnic.(none)" ??? Where is this (none) coming
> from?
>
> Pure interest here, I have just been playing with it....

I've solved it by not only setting the hostname but also the domainname at
boot time. If you're running 'unstable', it's in /etc/init.d/hostname.sh,
otherwise I think it's in /etc/init.d/boot . You'll find a command like

hostname --file /etc/hostname

After this, add the command

domainname --file /etc/domainname

Make sure /etc/hostname contains your hostname and that /etc/domainname
contains your domain name. Then it all works.

I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but it works for me. My
/etc/issue contains these lines, which are quite informative about the
system:

Welcome to \n.\o at \l

This system runs \s \r on \m

Remco