Re: lilo, linux and win95

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, it was written:

> > > /dev/hda1  Boot Primary Dos FAT16  (has Win95 installed on it)
> > > /dev/hda5       Logical Linux
> > > /dev/hda6       Logical Linux Swap
> >
> > From the numbering above, I can surmise that you installed linux into an
> > Extended DOS partition.
>
> No, that's apparentally standard config. It was installed straight into a
> linux partition.

Yes, but hda5 (and above) are the equivalent of DOS extended partitions
(or to be more precise, DOS logical partitions). the fact it is a "linux"
or "linux native" partiton is only refering to it's system ID (0x83). this
ID helps linux recognise what type of partition it is. Linux/Swap/DOS
etc...

Even in linux, these partition's are called logical partition's.

For a better explanation, take a look at the partition mini-HOWTO, under
the section "What is a partition anyway?"

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)