[no subject]

Newsgroups: local.deb
From: rick@emma.panam.NOZPAMwimsey.com
Subject: Re: BackSpace Key
Sender: rick@emma.panam.wimsey.com (rick)
Cc: hospedales@wow.net
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 01:16:21 GMT

Timothy M. Hospedales <hospedales@wow.net> wrote:
| My backspace key has suddenly stopped working in X.
| Now it acts like a [Delete] Key.
| This happened when my KBD package died along with my /usr/loal/
| directory, but did not recover when I reinstalled KBD.
|
| Any ideas how to fix this?

I'm in the middle of this myself.  I think my problem is
/etc/kbd/default.map is gzipped.

init.d/kbd-boot.sh says this about that:

if [ -r /etc/kbd/default.map -o -r /etc/kbd/default.map.gz ]
then
  loadkeys /etc/kbd/default.map
fi

I gunzipped default.map and rebooted (hate doing that) and all seems
well, although I'm still finding and removing some other things I
tried -- stty ^H, .Xmodmap changes... -- so I'm not sure yet.

Rick