Re: your mail

On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, rick wrote:

> Timothy M. Hospedales <hospedales@wow.net> wrote:
> | My backspace key has suddenly stopped working in X.
> | Now it acts like a [Delete] Key.
> | This happened when my KBD package died along with my /usr/loal/
> | directory, but did not recover when I reinstalled KBD.
> |
> | Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> I'm in the middle of this myself.  I think my problem is
> /etc/kbd/default.map is gzipped.
>
> init.d/kbd-boot.sh says this about that:
>
> if [ -r /etc/kbd/default.map -o -r /etc/kbd/default.map.gz ]
> then
>   loadkeys /etc/kbd/default.map
> fi
>
> I gunzipped default.map and rebooted (hate doing that) and all seems
> well, although I'm still finding and removing some other things I
> tried -- stty ^H, .Xmodmap changes... -- so I'm not sure yet.

I'm seeing the opposite, delete works like backspace, but only in Netscape
4.04.  Other X applications behave correctly.  Does anyone have an idea
what would cause this and how to fix it?  'xmodmap -pk' shows delete as
keycode 107 and backspace as keycode 22, which looks correct.  The
Netscape.ad file refers to the FAQ, but I don't find this covered there.

Bob

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com
Tucson, AZ                      AMPRnet: w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org