Re: installing debian problem

> what is a image file?
The meaning of an image file depends on the context. In the context of
installing debian it means a file that is a bit by bit copy of another file.
This is needed bacuase OSs tend to add headers and other signs for varuios
files. For example, DOS will add the ^Z character to mark the end of a text
file.

> in the inital boot medium, i use loadlin to boot install from a dos system.
> i used the command:- loadlin linux root=dev/ram initrd=root.bin
> but i got a error message of:-
> not a image file
> please enter name of kernel image file followed by optional commmand line
> parametersf for linux
>
> the linux file i got was from the debian ftp site. (normal linux file)
A more usual syntax is /dev/ram insraed of dev/ram but it seems that dev/ram
is working for you. As to the image file, I can't tell exactly.
In this context it probably means that loadlin does not recognize your linux
file to be one of the files and formats it expects. Try to see if the size of
your linux file matches *exactly* the size of the file on the ftp site.

> also i'm using win95 also. if i install debian, can i keep it  use it too?
> will it affect it in anyway. & i have set aside a empty partition of 1 gb
> free for debian. is it enough? how do u create a swap partition? from the
> same partition? i spent 3 days working on this & i still can't get it to work.

The 1G partition is more then enough. You could keep your WIN95 and run either
Linux or WIN95. The creation of the swap partition should be easy once you can
boot into Linux and start the installation process.

> P.S do anyone of u know if red hat or debian can be bought in southeast
> asia(singapore)?
I beleive that both Red Hat and Debian could be bought in syngapore. Try to
look at their www home pages. In any case, one can always mail order them,
should be less then $20, mostly for shipping.

	I hope it helps.