Re: installing debian problem

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998 23:10:10 +0800, kaiwei wrote:
> what is a image file?

It's an "image" of a disk (each track is copied, even if empty).  To
use it, you'll need the utility "rawrite.exe", which can be found in
the /dosutils directory.  Read the README file which accompanies it for
more info.

> in the inital boot medium, i use loadlin to boot install from a dos system.
> i used the command:- loadlin linux root=dev/ram initrd=root.bin
> but i got a error message of:-
> not a image file
> please enter name of kernel image file followed by optional commmand line
> parametersf for linux
> the linux file i got was from the debian ftp site. (normal linux file)

I have no practical experience with loadlin.

> also i'm using win95 also. if i install debian, can i keep it  use it too?
> will it affect it in anyway. & i have set aside a empty partition of 1 gb
> free for debian. is it enough? how do u create a swap partition? from the
> same partition? i spent 3 days working on this & i still can't get it to work

What I recommend is to put the lilo on the Linux "/" (i.e.: the "root"
partition). By default, lilo installs onto the MasterBootRecord, where
the win95 boot record lives.  If you accept this option, it will write
over your win95 bootloader.  There may be a backup copy of the MBR you
can restore (or not, depending), but if you put lilo on the linux root
partition, each bootloader has it's own space.  Then you can make an
entry for win95 in the lilo menu, so you won't need to change the
bootable partition under ordinary conditions.  Don't forget to flag the
lilo partition as bootable.

You create all your partitions during installation using the Linux
fdisk utility, which has some built-in help. Here are some docs which
thoroughly cover installation:

  Installing Debian
  ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/stable/disks-i386/current/install.html

  Debian Linux User's Guide
  http://www.linuxpress.com/001001.htm

  Debian Installation and Getting Started
  http://www.ssc.com/lg/issue15/debian.html