installing debian problem

what is a image file?
in the inital boot medium, i use loadlin to boot install from a dos system.
i used the command:- loadlin linux root=dev/ram initrd=root.bin
but i got a error message of:-
not a image file
please enter name of kernel image file followed by optional commmand line
parametersf for linux

the linux file i got was from the debian ftp site. (normal linux file)

also i'm using win95 also. if i install debian, can i keep it  use it too?
will it affect it in anyway. & i have set aside a empty partition of 1 gb
free for debian. is it enough? how do u create a swap partition? from the
same partition? i spent 3 days working on this & i still can't get it to work.

please help me & explain to me in plain english how to install linux?!!!

P.S do anyone of u know if red hat or debian can be bought in southeast
asia(singapore)?