Re: Formating a ftape tape?

On Tue, 10 Mar 1998 servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> Sorry, I should have checked the HOWTO first, jeez...
>

>   4.8.  Can I format my tapes under Linux?
>

>   No!

That applies to the version of ftape which is included in the kernel.
ftape-3.04d, which is installed as modules, has this capability.  The
Ftape-HOWTO is in need of updating, obviously.

>From the FTAPE-FAQ:

  3.3.  Do I have to reboot to the DOS world to format tapes?

  Not if you are using the latest version of the Ftape drivers from  the
  Ftape Home Page.  To format a QIC-80, TR-1, TR-3, QICWide 3010 or 3020
  tape, make sure that the Ftape-format module is loaded and use the
  special version of the mt utility included with Ftape in the
  contrib/gnumt directory. Use the ftformat option with an optional
  argument that is interpreted as follows:

     ftmt ftformat 0
        keep the existing header information, DON'T erase the tape prior
        formatting it.

     ftmt ftformat 1
        keep the existing header information and erase the tape prior
        formatting it.

     ftmt ftformat 2
        DON'T keep the existing header information, DON'T erase the
        tape.

     ftmt ftformat 3
        DON'T keep the existing header information, but erase the tape
        prior to formatting it.

  "ftformat" without parameter is synonymous to "ftformat 1" NOTE: Do
  not try to format Ditto 2GB tapes.

Bob

---
Bob Nielsen                     Internet: nielsen@primenet.com