Re: Smail/Sendmail Question

> Hi,
> >>"mfrattola" == mfrattola  <mfrattola@mail.enjoy.it> writes:
>
> mfrattola> Maybe I'm wrong, but doesn't this rewrite 'From' for every
> mfrattola> message, and not only for those 'going out' of his LAN?
> mfrattola> Also, doesn't confDELIVERY_MODE=queue queue all messages
> mfrattola> and wait for runq to make the delivery?
>
> 	Umm, I think not. let me see.
> >From root  Sun Mar  8 02:19:33 1998
> Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 02:16:07 -0600
> From: root <root>
> To: root
> Subject: mirror update of Debian
>
> 	See? No rewrite for local mail.

Yes, but as somebody else pointed out, this is for mail bound to localhost.
What happens if I'm on a.mynet.org and I write to b.mynet.org? I think
sendmail doesn't see this is a local (internal LAN) address and rewrites
its header like with any other internet bound message. Or so I think, since
my other home machine is down (being used my windows-sister).
I think I tried it (in the early days) and found I could not stop rewriting.

> 	As to the other question, yes, the confDELIVERY_MODE=queue
>  queues  all messages. My bad.
>
> 	The solution is to make all mailers except the local one
>  expensive.

Am I right in thinking local is used only for localhost bound mail?
Where does all this magic come from? Do I have to hand edit sendmail.conf by
hand? (any m4 shortcut?)

> __> egrep ^M /etc/sendmail.cf
> Mlocal,		P=/usr/sbin/sensible-mda, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qh90, S=10/30, R=20/40,
> Mprog,		P=/bin/sh, F=lsDFMoqu9, S=10/30, R=20/40, D=$z:/,
> Msmtp,		P=[IPC], F=emDFMuX, S=11/31, R=21, E=\r\n, L=990,
> Mesmtp,		P=[IPC], F=emDFMuXa, S=11/31, R=21, E=\r\n, L=990,
> Msmtp8,		P=[IPC], F=emDFMuX8, S=11/31, R=21, E=\r\n, L=990,
> Mrelay,		P=[IPC], F=emDFMuXa8, S=11/31, R=61, E=\r\n, L=2040,
> 	Notice the flag (F) e? it is not there for local or prog
>  mailers, but is there for all smtp or esmtp mailers, and hence the
>  non-local mail should wait for the queue run, but the local mail is
>  delivered immediately.
>
> 	This is untried; but it should work.

Thank you for your answer. It seems to me (from other messages) that smail is
easier to manage WRT this problem (with routers, directors and the like).
Problem is I don't like smail (and recent problems with newer smail don't make
me like it more). What I'd like sendmail to do is:

localhost mail	deliver locally		don't rewrite header
LAN mail	deliver thru eth0	don't rewrite header
internet mail	deliver thru ppp0	rewrite header