Re: lp devices

On Fri, Mar 06, 1998 at 12:58:27AM +0000, shaul@rakefet.debian.org wrote:
> > bash: /dev/lp0: No such device or address
>
> If I understand it correctly, the above line says that you do not have the
> parallel port device.
> You must have a parallel port device (/dev/lp?) in order to use a printer that
> is attached to the hardware parallel port.
> What does
> 	ls /dev/lp*
> says ?
> You can create the /dev/lp0 device using the MAKEDEV from the /dev directory,
> but it seems strange to me that you don't have it from the beginning.
> It might be that I am missing something.

lpN devices (in Linux <= 2.0 at least) are a bit strange; when compiled
into the kernel, lp0 always lives at IO port 0x3bc, lp1 at 0x378,
and lp2 at 0x278; they are not allocated from 0..2 in the order found.
It is quite possible to have an lp1 without an lp0, and standard
on most clones I would think. IIRC, the module does assign them
as found from lp0 though.

Hamish