lp devices

I am having trouble getting printing setup with a bo.
I have a Canon BJC-4100, but I don' think the printer
is the problem. I had been playing around with lpr/LPRng,
printcap, etc. when I finally realized that I forgot
add parallel printing support when I installed Debian.
So I went back to the rescue disk and tried adding
the printing support and making a new boot disk,
but that didn't work ( though it did tell me it captured
lp1.

Then I finalled found the insmod and lsmod commands.  So
I confirmed that the lp module wasn't loaded and then I
loaded it.  Still no luck.

I have have tried echo/cat/more and redirecting to /dev/lp0
- /dev/lp4 and I have gotten the error message:
bash: /dev/lp0: No such device or address

I am pretty much out of ideas.  Any help would be appreciated.

--
Jim Crumley                 |
crumley@belka.space.umn.edu |