Re: [Q] KDE for libc6. motif for libc6

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Vladislav Papayan x285 wrote:

> does any one know where from I can dowload (if it exists)
> the latest version of KDE (I think it is Beta 3) that
> is compiled for libc6?

The RedHat5 KDE package is compiled for libc6 - download it from
ftp.kde.org and use alien to install it.

> Also where can I buy (inexpensively) a version of Motif 2.1
> (devel and binaries) that is compiled for libc6.

I'm not aware of a commercial Motif compiled with libc6, but lesstif
(ftp://ftp.lesstif.org/pub/hungry/lesstif) will compile cleanly with
libc6, and it's not quite as broken as some old versions used to be.

>  And will it work when the latest
> version of the gnu compiler 2.8.0 (or egcc) will become
> standard?

The change in C compilers doesn't affect binaries; sources are very likely
to work.
All my important system components (Kernel, libc, X11, kde, gcc itself,
..) are compiled with pgcc (egcs-derived compiler with MUCH better
optimizations, http://www.gcc.ml.org/)

LLaP
bero

-- bero@bero-online.ml.org - ICQ/UIN 6545964 - http://www.star-trek.ml.org/ --

"Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM!"
                           -- Bill Gates, 1981
"Windows 95 needs at least 8 MB RAM."
                           -- Bill Gates, 1996
"Nobody will ever need Windows 95."