Re: HELP: Newbie needs help with crash

"Albert Hurd" wrote:
  >My computer just seized up (cursor frose; ctrl-alt bksp and ctrl-alt del
  >did nothing).

This was probably not the operating system but X.  If you have a network or
serial connection to another machine or a dumb terminal it should still be
possible to get out of this without hitting the reset button or the power
switch.  If you can, get a telnet session to your frozen machine and
kill the X server.  That should release the session on the frozen machine
so that you don't get the problems caused by rebooting without a shutdown.

If you have only the one machine, you are stuck, because X won't let you switch
to a virtual terminal to do this.

If you do have to hit the reset button, try to wait for a minute after any
disk activity.  That should give the system a chance to sync the disks and
reduce the chance of damaging files; it's not guaranteed though.

  >               I then warm rebooted. After the usual, I got:
  >
  >Checking root file system
  >Parallelizing fsck
  >/dev/hda2 contains a file system with errors, check forced
  >/dev/hda2: unattached inode 28780
  >/dev/hda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
  >FSCK FAIL. lease repair manually and reboot.
  >Please note that the root file system is currently mounted read only. To
  >remount it write
  >#mount -n -o remount,rw /
  >
  >I remounted as requested and got
  >
  >EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended.
  >EXT2-fs error (device 03:02): ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: wrong free blocks
  >count in super      block, Stored = 3170112, counted = 3170136
  > EXT2-fs error (device 03:02): ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: wrong free inodes
  >count in super block, Stored = 977529, counted = 977522
  >
  >I then tried #fsck and got
  >
  >Parallelizing fsck version 1.10.
  >
  >#fsck -r gave same thing.
  >
  >Then tried #e2fsck /dev/hda2 as advised above and got
  >
  >/dev/hda2 is mounted. Do you want to continue (y/n).

You really have no choice but to say yes here.  You can't unmount your root
file system without shutting down altogether!