Re: HELP: Newbie needs help with crash

On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Oliver Elphick wrote:

[ description of problem, and Oliver's helpful advice snipped ]
:   >
:   >Checking root file system
:   >Parallelizing fsck
:   >/dev/hda2 contains a file system with errors, check forced
:   >/dev/hda2: unattached inode 28780
:   >/dev/hda2: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
:   >FSCK FAIL. lease repair manually and reboot.
:   >Please note that the root file system is currently mounted read only. To
:   >remount it write
:   >#mount -n -o remount,rw /

You should have run fsck at this point, and _then_ remounted it
read/write.  As you discovered, mounting a filesystem read/write when
errors are present is not good.

:   >I remounted as requested and got

(well, it did't request that you do so; it was telling you how)

:   >
:   >EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked fs, running e2fsck is recommended.
:   >EXT2-fs error (device 03:02): ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: wrong free blocks
:   >count in super      block, Stored = 3170112, counted = 3170136
:   > EXT2-fs error (device 03:02): ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: wrong free inodes
:   >count in super block, Stored = 977529, counted = 977522
:   >
:   >I then tried #fsck and got
:   >
:   >Parallelizing fsck version 1.10.
:   >
:   >#fsck -r gave same thing.
:   >
:   >Then tried #e2fsck /dev/hda2 as advised above and got
:   >
:   >/dev/hda2 is mounted. Do you want to continue (y/n).
:
: You really have no choice but to say yes here.  You can't unmount your root
: file system without shutting down altogether!
:
:   >
:   >I cautiously responded n. I also tried #rdev -R/vmlinuz 1  which Sobell's
:   >book says should
:   >force Linux to boot with root file system mounted readonly, and got
:   >
:   >1: no such file or directory.
:   >
:   >
:   >I am now at a standstill. Any help on what to do next would be much
:   >appreciated.

In your situation, I would boot from the rescue floppy, and manually
fsck your partition(s).  You could also mount them after fsck'ing, and
poke around to see if everything's where it ought to be; alternatively,
you could just reboot and cross your fingers.

You really shouldn't run fsck on a mounted filesystem, which of course
is problematic in the case of the root filesystem.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104