Re: fetchmail doesn't work for me either

adavis@netpci.com (Alan Eugene Davis) writes:

> I upgraded fetchmail, smail, and some other packages at once, and immediately
> begin having trouble with fetchmail.  The problem is exactly as discussed by
> A. D. Y. Chang.   I'm at a loss, with all the discussion of smail on this list.

Well, what do your .fetchmailrc, fetchmail --version and fetchmail
--verbose say?  Does adding "smtphost localhost" to .fetchmailrc fix
it?

A.D.Y. Cheng has a much older version of fetchmail than the latest, so
you could have a different problem.  If you upgraded smail to the
latest version, try downgrading it again (to the version in 1.3.1) and
see if it gets fixed.  The latest smail has problems.

What errors do you get if you feed the following to "telnet electra2
smtp"?  (Replace electra2 with whatever "hostname" prints if I'm
guessing wrong from your headers.)

HELO electra2
MAIL FROM:<c.evans@clear.net.nz>
RCPT TO:<yourname@electra2>
DATA
Subject: test

.
QUIT

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."