Re: Lee: Re: smail Solution for Dynamic IP's

kotsya@u.washington.edu (David Stern) writes:

[snip]

What about the envelope sender?  sendmail writes this as:

>From c.evans@clear.net.nz Sun Mar  1 16:12:31

or something similar at the top of the message.  qmail puts:

as RFC821 and RFC822 (4.3.1, 4.4.3) suggest.

It appears that the Debian list server renames this to
"X-Envelope-Sender:" before passing the message on, which shows that
Lee Bradshaw's envelope sender is (or has been)
"bradshaw@freefall.home.bradshaw", and yours (David Stern's) is
"kotsya@localhost".  At least "localhost" will succeed in some DNS
lookups.  (I had my envelope sender set wrong until recently too.
It's difficult to notice.)  And it *is* forged by spammers.

The Return-Path is where bounced email should go, BTW, which is partly
why it gets forged.  Have either of you received any bounces lately?

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."