Re: HELP: Got in security trouble.

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Ossama Othman wrote:

: > 	However, if those of us who like to think of ourselves as
: >  hackers in the traditional sense of the word (and I;m talking
: >  computer tradition) take exception to your lumping us with egregious
: >  criminal miscreants, and flame you to a crisp, would that be fine
: >  too?
:
: Never did I lump hackers with "egregious criminal miscreants."  I merely
: took the objective point of view and was explaining how/why the "outside
: world" may see what a hacker is.  I repeatedly explained that I
: disagreed with the improper use of the term "hacker," yet you still
: lump me with the outside world.  Please don't accuse me of something I
: never did.
:
: > Ossama> (This is just a preventative measure on my part so that I
: > Ossama> don`t nailed with flames...heh.)
: >
: > 	Too late.
:
: IMHO, I shouldn't have been flamed to begin with.  There is a difference
: with being objective and actually stating that something or someone is
: wrong.  It is unfortunate that you failed to notice my objectivity.

Well, actually what you said was this (sorry about the quoting; I
deleted the original for some reason):

>> : Who is right and who is wrong?  I would have to say neither.
>> Each of us : is entitled to their own interpretation.

So, following that logic, if I present a mathematical proof that 2=1
(ever seen that one?  It hides a division by zero deep down inside ...),
then 2=1 because I said so.  Never mind that my interpretation is wrong.

Objectivity usually involves an attempt to reconcile two reasonable
points of view.  Calling criminals "hackers", and thereby lumping a
large number of real hackers in with idiots is not "reasonable".

Cheers,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104