Re: dselect nfs question

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Tim Sailer wrote:

: Nathan E Norman wrote:
: >
: > This question is overly vague; sorry ...
: >
: > I started playing with nfs today (nothing like a little excitement on a
: > friday).  I've got a 9 gig partition on a BSDI box, which holds my ftp
: > mirror of debian, among other things.  I want to be able to do local
: > installs via nfs.  So I fought my way through BSDI nfs config, and I can
: > now mount the filesystem on most any server I choose.  So far, so good.
: >
: > However, when I choose the 'nfs' method from dselect, it says my BSDI
: > box isn't an nfs server.  I think this has something to do with RPC.  My
: > guess is that Linux and BSDI are using different versions of RPC.
:
: Nope.. that shouldn't metter.. nfs is nfs.

Ok ... but dselect gives me an RPC version error (I looked into it a
little further)

: > I'm sure if I read the right fm I can figure this out, but I'm a bit
: > lost here - I've never delved into nfs or RPC at all :/  Any pointers as
: > to which fm's to r?
:
: Just curious, if this is a virgin install, did you choose to install
: the nfs module? You need nfs support into kernel to be able to nfs
: mount anything. If this is a working installation, try running
: "showmount -e your.nfs.server.com" and see what it says.
:
: Tim

Well, I'm not editing out the server names/numbers because the intent
here is to make an nfs mount publically available.  (I'll just filter
you at the router if you abuse me :)

So, here's what we've got.  brahe is the BSDI box with the filesystem
which is nfs shared.  kepler is a debian linux box, running unstable.
I've tried this on two debian linux boxes, running stable, with the same
result.  All three boxes work as shown here ...

kepler:~ $ sudo showmount -e brahe.midco.net
Export list for brahe.midco.net:
/ftp/pub (everyone)
kepler:~ $ sudo mount -t nfs -o ro brahe:/ftp/pub /mnt
kepler:~ $ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /var type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda6 on /tmp type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda7 on /var/tmp type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda8 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda9 on /home type ext2 (rw)
brahe:/ftp/pub on /mnt type nfs (ro,addr=208.146.80.105)

All file operations work, I've mapped all access to a user, the
filesystem is shared read-only.

Weird, eh?

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104