Re: two keyboards, two monitors, two users, one processor?

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:

> On 24 Feb 1998, Carey Evans wrote:
>
> > Britton <fsblk@aurora.alaska.edu> writes:
> >
> > > On 23 Feb 1998, Carey Evans wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > I think most X apps would run tolerably over a null modem cable.  If I
> > > understand these gadgets right, the can operate at the speed of the serial
> > > port, which is about 120 kbps, I think.  Even over ppp (33k modem) many
> > > apps function reasonably well.
> >
> > OK, you're probably right.  I forgot how much faster a null-modem is
> > than a 28.8K modem.
> >
> However using the null modem cable one must be very carefull about power
> supply! Sometimes it is possible to destroy serial ports, when two
> computers are connected to the sockets powered from different phases.
> I've done it :-(.
> The safest solution is to power both of them right from the same socket.
>
> 					Wojtek Zabolotny
> 					wzab@ipe.pw.edu.pl

This is exceedingly odd.  As a power engineer in training I would say
somebody did a really rotten job designing the power supply in one of your
machines.  Was there any other equipment on either of the machines's
outlets?  Poor power regulation aside, I don't see how a phase difference
affected the serial port.  I hope that in general at least this isn't a
problem.