Re: two keyboards, two monitors, two users, one processor?

On 24 Feb 1998, Carey Evans wrote:

> Britton <fsblk@aurora.alaska.edu> writes:
>
> > On 23 Feb 1998, Carey Evans wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I think most X apps would run tolerably over a null modem cable.  If I
> > understand these gadgets right, the can operate at the speed of the serial
> > port, which is about 120 kbps, I think.  Even over ppp (33k modem) many
> > apps function reasonably well.
>
> OK, you're probably right.  I forgot how much faster a null-modem is
> than a 28.8K modem.

However using the null modem cable one must be very carefull about power
supply! Sometimes it is possible to destroy serial ports, when two
computers are connected to the sockets powered from different phases.
I've done it :-(.
The safest solution is to power both of them right from the same socket.

					Wojtek Zabolotny
					wzab@ipe.pw.edu.pl