Re: Fetchmail & Smail Problems

On Wed, Feb 25, 1998 at 02:50:06AM +0000, Deniz Dogan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Welcome in the club, you are using smail 3.2.0.100-x, don't you?
>
> No. 3.2.0.92-3. I`m using bo.

Oh. It would have been soo easy to downgrade ;)

> After trying some configurations with smailconfig I managed to sent
> mail.

Good.

> But ftechmail still doesn`t work, It`s a general problem I think, as I
> wrote
> in my previous post telneting to the localhost doesn`t work also.
> Connection
> is refused. Any ideas?

This is really strange. Sorry, I'm no expert here...

> > looks ok. You can try to give fetchmail the dma option and use procmail. I
>
> I tried that: (procmail 3.10.4-2)
>
> $fetchmail -v -k -m "/usr/bin/procmail"
>
> It worked but elm (2.4pl25ME+31-5) complained that the folder is
> corrupted. Man
> page says:
>
>        If running suid root or  with  root  privileges,  procmail
>        will  be able to perform as a functionally enhanced, back­
>        wards compatible mail delivery agent.
>
> Isn`t it possible to run as a non-root user?

It has already the correct permissions, at least here:
flora$ ls -l 'which procmail'
-rwsr-sr-x   1 root     mail        56224 Jan 31 20:45 /usr/bin/procmail*

I have "/usr/bin/procmail -f-" as option to fetchmail, perhaps this helps?

> Is there any other options to use as MDA? Preferably, how can I solve
> `connection
> refuse` problem?

Sorry, don't know. Try to look hard at the various files in /etc, as
/etc/hosts*, /etc/resolv.conf etc...

Marcus