Re: Man does not display tables

On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 11:34:22AM +0100, Jens Ritter wrote:
> Niccolo Rigacci <fd131@cleveland.freenet.edu> writes:
>
> > I found that the man program don't understand some tags. For example in
> > the /usr/man/man4/console_codes.4.gz file I see the following that is
> > supposed to be a table:
>
> This is not present in the soon to come Debian 2.0 (code freeze is
> scheduled for march).

That manpage needs to be filtered through tbl .
This is done automagically when the first line of the *roff source tells
it to groff:

'\" t

That manpage lacks that instruction (fixed in later version). Meanwhile
you can use an explicit option:

man -pt console_codes

> I will add this to the debian user FAQ on

This explanation is good for *all* the pages that fail to filter tbl or
any other of the usual groff filters.

Man usage tells:
-p, --preprocessor string   string indicates which preprocessors to run.
                             e - [n]eqn   p - pic    t - tbl
                             g - grap     r - refer  v - vgrind

Fabrizio