Mounting MS-DOS filesystems

I am running 1.3.1 on a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5120.  I have 2 hard drives, pri master is 1.2gb, pri
slave is 630mb.  The primary master is Linux 100%, except for a Boot Manager Partition.  The
second drive is DOS 6.22, 1 big partition.  Whenever I attempt to mount the secondary drive
under Linux (/dev/hdb) I get a message that there is not a valid MS-DOS filesystem on the drive,
and about the only other message that I get that is easily decipherable is Transaction block
size=512" or something to that effect.

Two questions:

1.)  Is that "transaction block" the same thing as a cluster size under DOS?

2.)   (the most obvious)  What am I doing wrong?

The device and mount point, etc are in the /etc/fstab file, which I can send if need be.

Thanks in advance,

Greg Dickinson