Re: Seagate Baraccuda drives and Adapetc AHA1460 controller prob.

    Bill> I am 'just clutching at straws here' but in the past there
    Bill> have been some drives that 'lie' to the SCSI bus about their
    Bill> capability during the scsi inquire.  Some of these things
    Bill> typically 'hang' the scsi bus (requiring a time out/reset)
    Bill> but others could be 'partially implemented' or at least
    Bill> implemented in such a manner that the driver/interface can
    Bill> not handle.  I would suggest disabling
    Bill> 'disconnect/reconnect' or 'Synchronous SCSI' and see if that
    Bill> helps.

Further clutching at straws on my part reveals that the disk is seen
fine under NT (on the same laptop with the same card), and the VFAT
volume I created under NT is OK under linux.  The following is a
sample of the error sequence:

SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0 return code = 27010000
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 56410, absolute sector 56442
SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0 return code = 27010000
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 56376, absolute sector 56408
SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0 return code = 27010000
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 56806, absolute sector 56838
SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0 return code = 27010000
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 57158, absolute sector 57190
SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0 return code = 27010000
scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 57158, absolute sector 57190

I've now resigned myself to redoing the work I'd moved to this disk (no,
it isn't backed up) and am going to leave a low-level SCSI format running
overnight on the assumption that I've violated the drive geometry somehow.

--
Stephen
---