Re: Question - Hamm, Mgetty, PPP, wtmp - Arrgh!

On Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 04:33:58AM +0000, shaul@rakefet.netvision.net.il wrote:
> >  On Mon, Feb 16, 1998 at 01:06:59PM -0600, Jeff Noxon wrote:
> >> I have three dial-in modems on my hamm box.  They are all identical
> >> USR Couriers AFIAK, and their configuration *appears* to be the same.
> >> But one port always shows connect speed in wtmp, and the others do not:
> >
> > Are you sure that they are both set to report the same connect string?
> > Usually modems allow varying amounts of detail to be reported
> > on the "CONNECT" line, which is where mgetty gets this data from.
> > I don't know what the appropriate commands are for a USR Courier
> > (look at S95 and the W command for Rockwells).
> >
> >> Back when I ran bo, I got connect speeds for all three modems.  My hamm
> >> packages are all 100% up-to-date.
> >
> > Any chance the modems are configured differently now, either by
> > the profile stored in the modem or due to commands in /etc/mgetty/*.conf?
> >
> > hamish
>
> Mabey some other process (perhaps one that dials out from the system) has
> changed some of the modem settings ?

I wish, but no.

The modem settings are identical.  The modem firmware revisions are
identical.  The mgetty configuration lines are the same.  The inittab
lines are the same.  This is really bizarre.  It used to work with bo,
and one of my mgetty upgrades killed it a long time back.  I asked back
then, and nobody offered to help.

Thanks,

Jeff