Re: spam mail or mail relay

On Fri, Feb 13, 1998 at 04:43:29PM +0200, Daniel Mashao wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 14, 1998 at 09:03:34AM +0700, Wiria A Kusuma wrote:
> > > Hello.., I would like to ask what are the terms spam mail and mail
> > > relay? are they the same thing? how does it work and how to prevent
> > > them?, or may be you can point me to the right direction where I can
> > > find more info about it...
> >
> > They're not equal.
> >
> >  . Relayed Mail is delivered through an innocent system that accepts
> >    such mail.  It is delivered to senders outside of the local area
> >    (including MX hosting &c).  Modern MTA's doesn't allow this
> >    anymore.  Our server lists.debian.org does only accept mail for
> >    its own domain, not for others, no relaynig allowed.
> Thanks for the explanation. Now I would like to know how do I stop mail
> relaying in smail. I heard some people say smail is the biggest culprit
> and I need to get something like exim or sendmail.
>
> Is smail that insecure? And how can I know I am secure?

It was. A new version with anti-spamming-features is available in unstable.
BUT there are a lot of bugs against current smail and upgrading is not
guaranteed to work. If you need the extra features (and are able to
configure smail to your needs), then you may want to ignore my warning and
try your luck.

Marcus