Re: spam mail or mail relay

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Martin Schulze wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 14, 1998 at 09:03:34AM +0700, Wiria A Kusuma wrote:
> > Hello.., I would like to ask what are the terms spam mail and mail
> > relay? are they the same thing? how does it work and how to prevent
> > them?, or may be you can point me to the right direction where I can
> > find more info about it...
>
> They're not equal.
>
>  . Relayed Mail is delivered through an innocent system that accepts
>    such mail.  It is delivered to senders outside of the local area
>    (including MX hosting &c).  Modern MTA's doesn't allow this
>    anymore.  Our server lists.debian.org does only accept mail for
>    its own domain, not for others, no relaynig allowed.
Thanks for the explanation. Now I would like to know how do I stop mail
relaying in smail. I heard some people say smail is the biggest culprit
and I need to get something like exim or sendmail.

Is smail that insecure? And how can I know I am secure?
Daniel J. Mashao
Electrical Engineering                daniel@comgate.ee.uct.ac.za
University of Cape Town	       	    http://www.ee.uct.ac.za/~daniel
Rondebosch, 7700, S. Africa    (w) 27+21+650 2816   (h) 27+21+705 1233