Re: spam mail or mail relay

On Sat, Feb 14, 1998 at 09:03:34AM +0700, Wiria A Kusuma wrote:
> Hello.., I would like to ask what are the terms spam mail and mail
> relay? are they the same thing? how does it work and how to prevent
> them?, or may be you can point me to the right direction where I can
> find more info about it...

They're not equal.

 . Relayed Mail is delivered through an innocent system that accepts
   such mail.  It is delivered to senders outside of the local area
   (including MX hosting &c).  Modern MTA's doesn't allow this
   anymore.  Our server lists.debian.org does only accept mail for
   its own domain, not for others, no relaynig allowed.

 . Spam is mainly UCE (unsolicited commercial email (sp?)).  That's
   mail sent to you and a hundred of others that all didn't want
   to receive them.  Some of the known Spammers may be blocked
   by MAPS RBL (Mail Abuse Prevention System, see http://maps.vix.com/).
   We're doing this on our server lists.debian.org.

Regards,

	Joey

  / linux: Unbekannter Terminaltyp                                /
 / Ich weiß nicht, auf was für einem Terminaltyp Sie arbeiten -  /
/ alles, was ich habe, ist 'linux'.              -- Solaris 2.5 /