Re: HELP: FATAL SERVER ERROR

"Albert Hurd" <ahurd@sprint.ca> writes:

> It began with a cd to /tmp and then a rm -r /tmp. I then wanted to cd ~ but
> did cd ` byy mistake.

You removed your /tmp dir. The Xserver (and other programms) save
temporary data in it, so you get into problems as you saw by yourself.

If you want to delete the contents of a directory and all its subdirectory,
then you can do this by:

cd /tmp
rm -R *

I wouldn't do this as root (and probably also not as a normal user) as you
will delete some important temporary data. All files older than 3 days got
wiped from /tmp during boot anyway (see /etc/init.d/boot). For servers who
usually don't reboot (sometimes for months), there is also tmpripper in
hamm.

Better to selectively delete files and directories (using mc for example).

So create a new /tmp dir with these permissions:

drwxrwsrwt   6 root     root         2048 Feb 15 21:48 /tmp/

See man chmod for help on setting the right permissions.

> This replaced the usual prompt $ by >. I then tried to get a new xterm
> window by clicking
> the afterstep icon. Nothing happened. I then rebooted and got the the

Don't know afterstep, but the > prompt means, that the shell expects
forter data from you . By ' you started a "string".

Try CTRL+c next time to get out of this prompt.

Ciao,
	Martin