HELP: FATAL SERVER ERROR

This newbie would like some help with the following problem:

It began with a cd to /tmp and then a rm -r /tmp. I then wanted to cd ~ but
did cd ` byy mistake.
This replaced the usual prompt $ by >. I then tried to get a new xterm
window by clicking
the afterstep icon. Nothing happened. I then rebooted and got the the
following when I tried startx:

              Fatal server error:
                   Could not create lock file in /tmp/.tX-lock

              -X11TransSockeeeeeetUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno=2
               xinit: No such file or directory (errno=2): unable to
connect to X server
                xinit: No such process (errno=3): Server error

Could anyone tell me what happened and how to recover. Thanhs so much.

Albert  Hurd