Re: NFS mounting problem

In an attempt to save the world from disaster, Rob Duncan wrote:
> I'm having some problems mounting with NFS.  The baffling thing is
> that the client machine (aidan) can happily mount two other
> directories from the server (miles), but consistently balks on this
> one.  Here's what I start with on aidan:
>
> aidan# mount
> /dev/hda3 on / type ext2 (rw)
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> miles:/home on /home type nfs (rw,addr=192.168.1.2)
> miles:/var/spool/mail on /var/spool/mail type nfs
> (rw,addr=192.168.1.2)
>
> and then I try to add one more:
>
> aidan# mount miles:/usr/local/java /mnt
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on miles:/usr/local/java,
>        or too many mounted file systems

Just guessing, but maybe miles:{/home,var/spool/mail} were listed in
/etc/fstab, while miles:/usr/local/java wasn't?

> I'm out of ideas, so any suggestions will be gratefully tried out.

OK, the above was just a very wild idea, and my own testing actually
disproved the possibility. But if you really are gratefull for _any_
suggestion, you can always try to run tcpdump on your network

  # tcpdump -i eth0 host miles

Might give you some extra info. Other than that, I'm, out of ideas too...
(Well, run rpc.nfs in debug mode on the server, but as it seems that the
problem is on the client side, I don't think that will give you any more
info).

Luck,

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

The upstream maintainer is allowed to do things different
than Debian, but only if he has good reasons to do so.