Re: Incredibly huge /var/log/lastlog

In article <[🔎] Pine.LNX.3.96.980212145326.238A-100000@cgowave-3-77.cgocable.net>,
Colin R. Telmer <telmerco@qed.econ.queensu.ca> wrote:
>After a recent hamm upgrade (two or three days ago) on my machine (pretty
>much a single user machine) I noticed that /var/log/faillog and
>/var/log/lastlog are incredibly large (particularily lastlog):
>
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root      1522440 Feb 10 23:03 faillog
>-rw-r--r--   1 root     root     18523020 Feb 11 09:18 lastlog

Probably the struct lastlog is a bit bigger, but remember these files
are mostly empty. The file is probably not taking 18 MB on disk --
try a "du lastlog" to see how many bytes it is really taking.

Mike.
--
 Miquel van Smoorenburg |  The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac lay in his bed
    miquels@cistron.nl  |  awake all night wondering if there is a doG