Re: Password Encryption

Butch Kemper <kemper@bihs.net> writes:

> I know how to propagate the password file to the second machine but the
> problem I have not solved is how to have both machines use the same "seed"
> for encrypting the passwords.  Right now, if I add a user to machine A and
> copy their encrypted password entry to Machine B, an attempt to logon fails
> the password check.

Crypt (the thing that does the encryption) saves the "salt" into the first
two characters of the encrypted password, so this password can be used on
any machine.

You transfer passwords from machine A to machine B. Maybe machine B uses
shadow passwords? Then all passwordfields in /etc/passwd have just a "x"
and the actual passwords should go into /etc/shadow.

Ciao,
	Martin