Incredibly huge /var/log/lastlog

After a recent hamm upgrade (two or three days ago) on my machine (pretty
much a single user machine) I noticed that /var/log/faillog and
/var/log/lastlog are incredibly large (particularily lastlog):

-rw-r--r--   1 root     root      1522440 Feb 10 23:03 faillog
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root     18523020 Feb 11 09:18 lastlog

I realized these files are fixed size binary files, but an 18meg lastlog
seems way too big. Checking a couple of debian 1.3.X machines in my
department yield sizes well under 1meg. Any idea what is wrong here?
lastlog is part of the login package, but that has not been revised for
some time (changelog.debian's last entry is dated 970616-1). Is this
perhaps due to a bug in the most recent version of libc6?

Any help is gratefully appreciated. Cheers, Colin.

--
Colin Telmer, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
<mailto:telmerco@qed.econ.queensu.ca>