Re: nmh configuration

On 11 Feb 1998 10:21:33 +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> David Stern <kotsya@u.washington.edu> writes:
>
> > I've got a hamm system running with smail(3.2.0.100-4), exmh(2.0-1),
>
> > <= 450 defer '<kotsya@localhost.localdomain>', sender address target
> > 'localhost.localdomain' cannot be verified at this time:
> > verify_sender(): BIND server failure: : Connection refused. (Try again
> > later)
>
> smail 3.2.100 has introduced some anti-spam measures. One of these is
> checking the sender. Unfortunatly this will cause trouble on a typical
> dialup box.

Doh!  So that's what that phrase in the upgrade mini-howto meant.  It
would be nice if "trouble" was in some way described or at least an
example was cited.  I'm pretty sure I heeded that warning with the
initial upgrade, albeit blindly.  In this case, smail was probably
ugraded at the same time as nmh was installed.  At least I learned more
about my mail systems.

> Downgrade smail to the one in bo until there is a new smail which handles
> this case reasonable.

Thanks, I was just about ready to start the whole process over with MH.

> I think you could also install your own DNS server who will resolve your
> "localhost.localdomain".

True, although probably not practical for dialup connections.

You're incredible!  Thanks again,

--
D a v i d   S t e r n