Re: xauth for my wife:WOW, xdm & multi X-windows

Daniel Martin suggested a magical solution, one his mail prodded me to use.
I now have an X-session for myself on <cntl><alt>F7,
one X-session for my wife on <cntl><alt>F8,
one X-session for my child on <cntl><alt>F9.
WOW

Mail to debian-users on January 4, 1998, by Remco Blaakmeer showed how to do
this in xdm.  He suggested a clean solution to alter /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to
something like
	:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt07 :0 -bpp 16
        :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt08 :1 -bpp 8
which also gives you 16-bit color on one console and 8-bit color on the other.
I myself now use
    :0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7 :0
    :1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt8 :1
    :2 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt9 :2
You need change no other files.  However, for beauty, you might alter
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config.

The use of vt08 and :1 at the end of the above lines IS APPARENTLY
UNDOCUMENTED, at least in the Debian distribution.  These appendages are
necessary!  Without :2 at the end, I get no xdm login rectangle, just a grey
screen, for <cntl><alt>F9.  Without the vt09 appendage for the third server, a
video-timing problem appears so that most of the consoles become unuseable,
having short random color stripes.  None of these appendages are needed for
the :0 server, though I add them for consistency.

A bug report for xbase told about xdm multiple X-sessions working with
ethernet or ppp connected, but not when disconnected.  I had this very problem
with my ppp connection.  I would get the following error with no ppp
	 Fatal server error:
        XDMCP fatal error: Session declined No valid address
With ppp, if I turned off ppp, the xdm rectangle for login would dissappear,
although the cursor would still work.  Then when I turned ppp back on, the
login rectangles would reappear.  These problems disappeared when I followed
Remco's suggestion to append "vt8 :1" as above.

To get a consistent login console like the first default one, you can also
change the file /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config.  Amongst the entries there, I have
    DisplayManager._0.authorize:        true
    DisplayManager._0.resources:        /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_0
    DisplayManager._0.setup:    /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0
    DisplayManager._0.startup:  /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup_0
    DisplayManager._0.reset:    /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset_0
    ! I copy the files for server 0 to those for server 1.
    DisplayManager._1.authorize:        true
    DisplayManager._1.resources:        /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_1
    DisplayManager._1.setup:    /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_1
    DisplayManager._1.startup:  /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup_1
    DisplayManager._1.reset:    /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset_1
    ! I  copy the files for server 0 to those for server 2.
    DisplayManager._2.authorize:        true
    DisplayManager._2.resources:        /etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_2
    DisplayManager._2.setup:    /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_2
    DisplayManager._2.startup:  /etc/X11/xdm/Xstartup_2
    DisplayManager._2.reset:    /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset_2
I then copied without change the files /etc/X11/xdm/*_0 files to
/etc/X11/xdm/*_1 and /etc/X11/xdm/*_2. There are four such files; eg,
/etc/X11/xdm/Xresources_2 .

If you try this out, when you alter some of these xdm config files, you can
tell xdm to look again with
       "ps -auxw |grep X" or "ps -auxw |grep vt", then enter
        kill -SIGHUP pid-of-that-X

If you wish to restart xdm, remember the dummy consoles like <cntl><alt>F2.
Go to /etc/init.d, enter "./xdm stop".  You might check that "ps -auxw |grep
X" returns no processes.  Then enter "./xdm start".

The virtual desktops were magical.
These multiple X-sessions are just as magical.
WOW