nmh configuration

Hi,

I've got a hamm system running with smail(3.2.0.100-4), exmh(2.0-1),
and would like to configure nmh(0.17-1) so that it uses smail as the
local SMTP server (called by inetd), as was implemented in my bo
system.  I specifically do NOT want nmh to act as the SMTP server,
because I have a custom smail transport which rewrites From: headers
(thanks Daniel), which I wish to retain, as this works across all mail
clients.

When I run "smail -bv -v kotsya | kotsya@localhost |
kotsya@localhost.localdomain" I'm deliverable, however when I attempt
to deliver mail by nmh using "send -snoop test", with variations on
"servers: localhost.localdomain" in my /etc/nmh/mts.conf, all mail is
undeliverable:

---------
<= 220-localhost.localdomain Smail-3.2.0.100 (#2 1998-Jan-13) ready at
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 17:04:16 +0000 (/etc/localtime)
<= 220 ESMTP supported
=> EHLO localhost.localdomain
<= 250-localhost.localdomain Hello localhost.localdomain
(kotsya@localhost.localdomain from address [127.0.0.1]), here's what we
support:
<= 250-EXPN
<= 250-SIZE 10485760
<= 250-8BITMIME
<= 250-PIPELINING
<= 250 HELP
=> MAIL FROM:<kotsya@localhost.localdomain>
<= 450 defer '<kotsya@localhost.localdomain>', sender address target
'localhost.localdomain' cannot be verified at this time:
verify_sender(): BIND server failure: : Connection refused. (Try again
later)
=> RSET
<= 250 Reset state
=> QUIT
<= 221 localhost.localdomain closing connection
post: problem initializing server; [RPLY] 450 defer
'<kotsya@localhost.localdomain>', sender address target
'localhost.localdomain' cannot be verified at this time:
verify_sender(): BIND server failure: : Connection refused. (Try again
later)
send: message not delivered to anyone
---------

It's my understanding that there are two ways to compile nmh, either
with "SMTP over TCP" or "SMTP over a pipe".  In an attempt to alleviate
that contention, I've tried setting "sendmail: /usr/sbin/smail" in my
/etc/nmh/mts.conf as shown in the man page, to no avail.  In fact,
setting this param, restarting smail and inetd, has no effect.  I've
also setup an /etc/hosts file as shown in the man page.
Coincidentally, the "spost" command is also missing from the nmh .deb,
yet the nmh developer has told me it exists.

Has the ability for nmh to pass along SMTP duties to sendmail/smail
been disincluded from the nmh .deb?  If so, and since my bo smail/MH
system worked, this would make the claim that nmh is a "drop-in"
replacement for MH (as told in the man page) disingenuous (even if
technically it is configurable at compile time, because binary
distribution is most prevalent), therefore I would suggest the nmh .deb
first include the "spost" command, and then share a common method for
SMTP duties with MH.  Only then will nmh truly be a "drop-in"
replacement for MH for Debian.

For now I specify my ISP's smarthost in "servers:", but this breaks
local mail delivery.  How can I configure nmh to call on smail for SMTP
duties?

--
D a v i d   S t e r n