ppp connection <newbie>

Hello, this is my first venture with Linux.  So far, I have been very
pleased with the setup process, and I like the functionality of
XWindows.  I have downloaded Netscape to use with my new machine, but I
am having a problem connecting to the internet.  My machine is not hard
wired to any network, the only access that I have is to internet through
my college server.  I have all of the information to create a ppp
connection, but I don't know how to do it.
I played a little with ppp, pon, and poff and stuff.  I edited a few
files, and actually got the modem to dial, but that is as far as it
goes.  I also saw a program called diald, don't know how to set it up
either.

Can some one describe the files that I need to alter to create a dialup
ppp connection.
Do I need to issue a command after the program dials the server.
Sorry, I really am a newbie.......
Here is some of my dialup info

Server Phone # 875-6996
The Server assigns me an ip on connect