Re: ppp connection <newbie>

Thomas Rankin <tlr159s@nic.smsu.edu> writes:

> I played a little with ppp, pon, and poff and stuff.  I edited a few
> files, and actually got the modem to dial, but that is as far as it
> goes.  I also saw a program called diald, don't know how to set it up
> either.

Don't think about diald yet.  Get the connection working normally,
then try to get diald working, if you need it.

> Can some one describe the files that I need to alter to create a dialup
> ppp connection.
> Do I need to issue a command after the program dials the server.
> Sorry, I really am a newbie.......
> Here is some of my dialup info
>
> Server Phone # 875-6996
> The Server assigns me an ip on connect
> Primary DNS  146.7.2.2
> Secondary      150.199.1.11

As well as what Alex says, you'll need to edit /etc/resolv.conf to
look something like:

domain smsu.edu
nameserver 146.7.2.2
nameserver 150.199.1.11

Type "man resolv.conf" to find out about this file.  Also have a look
at the documents in /usr/doc/ppp/.

To see how things are going, add "debug" to /etc/ppp.options_out and
look at /var/log/syslog to see what's happening.  Once you seem to
have a connection, try something like "ping 146.7.2.2" to check.

	  GNU GPL: "The Source will be with you... always."