Re: xemacs 20.3 slow load

That doesn't sound right.

You should have something like:

127.0.0.1	zeropoint.your.domain	zeropoint
127.0.0.1	localhost

(Also try flipping those lines around.)

Also, what does hostname and hostname -f report?

Gerald Wann <photonuv@kudos.net> writes:

> >   > I am experimenting with xemacs 20.3 on debian linux 2.0.29 machine
> >   > w/ AMD K6 200MHz / 32M RAM. It takes xemacs about a full minute
> >   > to load in xwindows. Anyone else experience such a prolonged load
> >   > wait, or is it just me (& 20.3 ;-)?
> >
> >Usually the problem with *really* slow emacs loading is that your
> >hostname is set incorrectly.  It will wait a long time trying to
> >resolve a bad hostname.  Add your hostname to /etc/hosts to fix.
> >
> Hi -
>
> I've tried the following (single) lines in my etc/hosts file -
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost
> 	OR
> 127.0.0.1	zeropoint   // where zeropoint is what is reported by hostname
> 	OR
> 127.0.0.1	zeropoint	localhost
>
> and noticed very little if any improvement in xemacs load speed? I'm probably
> making a silly mistake, but it's not immediately obvious to me what it is.
> Ideas?
>

> --

John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for
jgoerzen@complete.org | DOS/Windows -- check it out at www.debian.org.