Re: file system copying nightmare

Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> I'm having a nightmare trying to copy my root file system to its
> new home. If I mount the original as / and the new one as /mnt,
> both
>
> cp -ax /* /mnt
>
> and
>
> ( cd /; tar clvf - * ) | ( cd /mnt; tar xf - )
>
> attempt to copy /mnt anyway, and /proc too. ie, the -x and -l switches
> to cp and tar respectively appear to be ignored.

Try this:

cd /;find . -depth -print | grep -v "^/mnt" | cpio -pdlm /mnt

- or this -

umount /mnt;cd /; find . -depth -print >/tmp/root.dir
vi /tmp/root.dir	# assure no /mnt stuff, etc
mount /dev/hdwhatever /mnt
cat /tmp/root.dir | cpio -pdlm /mnt

HTH - Ralph

> I would do it with the rescue disk, mounting the two partitions
> as /mnt and /mnt2, except that the rescue disk (poorly named?)
> seems to have a cut down cp with only -r, and no tar!
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> thanks,
> Hamish
> --
> Hamish Moffatt, hamish@debian.org, hamish@rising.com.au, hmoffatt@mail.com
> Latest Debian packages at ftp://ftp.rising.com.au/pub/hamish. PGP#EFA6B9D5

Ralph Winslow		      rjw@nac.net
Mary bought a pair of skates
upon the ice to frisk
now wasn't that a crazy way